Course Chair: Judy Coy, RN
Earn up to 10.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Advanced Registration Deadline to Save: October 4, 2010
This course addresses four critical areas related to the practice of sleep medicine: evaluation and management services coding, medical record auditing, documentation guidelines review and compliance plan development. Attendees of this course will receive a course book of all the slides and will be provided with take- home tools/materials as indicated in the objectives below.
Judy Coy, RN, is the American Academy of Sleep Medicine’s Director of Coding, Compliance and Accreditation. Her past health care management experience includes working for the American Medical Association (AMA) CPT Coding Department, the Medicare Benefit Safeguards Department (Fraud and Abuse) for Illinois and Michigan, and consulting with Ernst and Young’s Litigation Advisory Services. Judy also directed the Physician Coding and Compliance Department for Advocate Health Care, a large Chicago integrated health care system. In 2008 and 2009, she edited an AMA publication entitled, CPT Handbook for Office-Based Coding; AMA and CMS Perspectives.
During the time Judy was employed by the AMA, she provided 45 “Train the Trainer” workshops throughout the United States in 1991 on the new CPT Evaluation and Management (E/M) Codes prior to their adoption in 1992.
This course is intended for sleep medicine professionals seeking an in-depth review of the procedures for coding evaluation and management services.
Overall Course Objectives
Upon completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Document and bill for evaluation and management services;
- Review a step-by-step process for physicians and their associates to use to conduct an audit of their sleep medicine facility;
- Review Centers for Medicare and Medicaid’s (CMS) 1995 and 1997 documentation guidelines and provide a list of the most common errors found in the documentation of sleep medicine services;
- Discuss the Office of Inspector General’s (OIG) Compliance Program for Individual and Small Group Physician Practices as well as the OIG Compliance Program for Third-Party Medical Billing Companies;and
- Develop a compliance plan for a sleep medicine practice using a take-home tool.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Comprehensive Evaluation and Management Coding course has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Their Elements of the ACCME by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
The AMA Council on Medical Education mandates that accredited providers only offer AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ to physicians. The AASM will issue non-physicians a letter of attendance for activities designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine will award 10.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for the Comprehensive Evaluation and Management Coding course. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.