Course Chair: Ofer Jacobowitz, MD, PhD
Earn up to 8.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
Advanced Registration Deadline to Save: October 8, 2010
NEW COURSE! Register for this workshop and the Workshops in Sleep Medicine: Portable Monitoring to save on registration fees!
This course will provide didactic sessions on the features of the upper airway that are risk factors for obstructive sleep apnea and will describe methods of upper airway assessment. Sessions will review areas that are the focus for surgical treatment of apnea. Finally, faculty will guide participants in performing the sleep apnea examination.
This course is intended for sleep medicine professionals seeking knowledge and practice of the detailed examination of the upper airway for the diagnosis and management of patients with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.
Overall Course Objectives
Upon completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Identify the static and dynamic features of the nasal airway that affect obstructive sleep apnea and its treatment with CPAP;
- Assess the oral and pharyngeal anatomy relevant to the diagnosis, medical and surgical treatment of obstructive sleep apnea;
- Explain methods of anatomical assessment and advanced surgical treatment of obstructive sleep apnea in children;
- Identify anatomical structures amenable to surgical treatment in adults;
- Describe the relation of airway inflammation and obstructive sleep apnea; and
- Practice the physical examination of the sleep apnea airway using basic and advanced tools such as peak flow meters and fiberoptic endoscopes.
Continuing Medical Education (CME)
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The Workshops in Sleep Medicine: The Sleep Medicine Examination course has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Their Elements of the ACCME by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
The AMA Council on Medical Education mandates that accredited providers only offer AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ to physicians. The AASM will issue non-physicians a letter of attendance for activities designated for AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine will award 8.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ for the Workshops in Sleep Medicine: The Sleep Medicine Examination course. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.