AASM Congressional Forum on Sleep Medicine is a Success
AASM Weekly Update
Friday, May 13, 2011
The AASM conducted a successful Congressional Forum on Sleep Medicine in Washington, D.C., on May 4. The Forum was sponsored by U.S. Rep. Judy Biggert (R-IL), whose district includes the AASM national office, and it was attended by Congressional Health Policy staffers. The Forum educated lawmakers and their staff in the U.S. House of Representatives on the importance of effective sleep and the essential role of the sleep medicine and sleep research communities.
Presentations were by provided by five sleep experts:
The AASM thanks Congresswoman Judy Biggert for sponsoring this important program and appreciates the involvement of members who contacted your representatives and urged their attendance.
- Patrick Strollo, MD: What it takes to be a sleep medicine specialist and the role of the AASM
- Nancy Collop, MD: The relationship between sleep and comorbid medical conditions, public health issues, and learning ability for school children
- Sheri Katz, DDS: Sleep apnea and oral appliance therapy
- James Walsh, PhD: The importance of sleep-related research
- David Dinges, PhD: Fatigue management