Attention A-STEP Participants
The AASM is the administrative organization for the A-STEP online learning modules and introductory course. The BRPT and ABSM are the administrative organizations for the sleep technologist certification examinations. To ensure that you are contacting the correct organization with your inquiries, please view our contact information page.
The American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) developed the Accredited Sleep Technologist Education Program (A-STEP) to promote the standardization of sleep technologist education and training. A-STEP equips students with the knowledge and skills they need to excel in the profession of sleep technology.
A-STEP is a requirement for sleep technologist certification programs. For information about A-STEP requirements to become eligible to sit in for the Sleep Technologist Registry (RST) Examination, please visit the American Board of Sleep Medicine
. Candidates seeking RPSGT certification can find eligibility requirements at the BRPT website.
New for 2012!
A-STEP Modules are now updated to include:
- Online streaming audio-visual multi-media format.
- Content better aligned with a sleep technologist's daily duties and core competencies.
- Post-module self-assessment exams and the chance to earn up to 1 AAST CEC per module
- Reduced price: $20 per module if you have taken the A-STEP Introductory Course; $30 per module if you have not taken the course
Completion of A-STEP is a two-step process:
1. A-STEP Introductory Course
The A-STEP Introductory course is regularly offered by 52 A-STEP providers
including the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. This course consists of 80 hours of instruction and training on sleep, sleep disorders, sleep studies and patient care. The program concludes with a three-hour online exam consisting of 106 multiple-choice questions. Complete the A-STEP Introductory course to receive a discount on all A-STEP Self-Study Modules.
Learn more about the A-STEP Introductory Course
Accredited sleep disorders centers and academic institutions can apply to become accredited providers
of the A-STEP Introductory Course.
2. A-STEP Self-Study Modules
Each of the 23 A-STEP Self-Study modules includes a 30-minute online video presentation followed by a set of ten review questions. Students are encouraged to complete the modules while they receive 18 months of supervised, on-the-job training from a sleep disorders center.
Learn more about A-STEP Modules
Technologists who have already received certification can also purchase individual modules and receive 1 AAST CEC credit per module. Users must register an account
to purchase and access A-STEP modules.
Modules include the following topics:
- Welcome to Sleep Technology - FREE with registration
- The Patient Chart
- Meet the Sleep Disorders Patient
- Basics of Electrode Application: EEG and EOG
- Basics of Electrode Application: Respiratory and EMG
- Basics of Sleep Recordings and Artifacts
- Respiratory Monitoring
- Polysomnographic Protocols
- Normal Sleep
- Breathing During Sleep
- Sleep Center Emergencies
- Scoring - Waveforms
- Scoring - Sleep Stages
- Scoring - Respiratory Events
- Scoring - Arousals, EEG Abnormalities, Movements and Cardiac Events
- Insomnia and Hypersomnias
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders and Sleep Related Movement Disorders
- Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
- CPAP and Other Therapies for SRBD
- Parasomnias and Nocturnal Epilepsy
- Pediatric Breathing Disorders
- Other Pediatric Sleep Disorders
- Out of Center Sleep Testing
Register an account for A-STEP today and get the first self-study module Welcome to Sleep Technology for FREE.