The Technologist’s Introduction to Sleep Disorders is intended for sleep technologists seeking knowledge about the problems suffered by the patients who are tested in their sleep center. It provides information for understanding their patient’s sleep disorders and for putting into context the complaints, symptoms and test results. The text follows the outline of the International Classification of Sleep Disorders, Second Edition, and is sprinkled with descriptions of typical cases. The Introduction touches on all of the major sleep disorders, including a discussion of the various forms of insomnia, but concentrates on those that require sleep testing.
The Introduction provides answers to the following questions:
- What causes the disorder?
- What is seen on a sleep study of a patient with this disorder?
- What is used to treat the disorder?
- What happens to patients who have this disorder?
- Sleep Related Breathing Disorders
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorders
- Sleep Related Movement Disorders
- The Range of Normal
- Additional Resources
- Study Question Answers
72 pages. ©2010 American Academy of Sleep Medicine